Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Winter Olympics


I always love when the Olympics come around. Especially the Winter games. They hold a very special place in my heart and it's always another reminder why I'm a proud American. The games to me are the true symbol of 'world peace'. It's a time where everyone around the world gathers to represent their country in true sportsmanship. Most of these athletes will never make millions of dollars and most of the medalists names will never be remembered, but this to me is sportsmanship and integrity at its purest form.

When Utah was awarded the bid for the 2002 games, the Kearns Oval was built. It was a dinky little ring outside surrounded by tumbleweeds and had a timing booth made of ply wood and was spray painted "Timing Booth". My parents asked me to Take Kamie up there to skate around. We went to have fun and I told her if she could catch me skating she could beat me up.

Little did I know what door that would open. The US Jr. Olympic coach was there that night practicing with the team and approached me if I wanted to speedskate. *I had no clue what that was and he referred it to me by pointing at the team skating around at 90 degree angle going 35 mph*

Sure I thought. I know I can beat those kids. He arranged for me to come back the next day with my parents and handed me a pair of speed skates!

FLOP! MUCH different than a hockey skate. No ankle support...nothing. It's like putting a blade on the bottom of your shoe. I looked ridiculous and was embarrassed. He told me to be patient and my ankle strength would improve. So I did a few laps that day and next thing ya know...I was skating! To ths day I am proud to say because of my ankle strength I can sprint in 6 inch stillettos! :)

I trained 6-8 hours a day and my goal was to be competing in the 2002 games. That year I qualified for the Jr National Team and took 3rd in Region overall. The next year I won the Utah Winter Games in 2 events, was awarded a Utah Athlete Scholarship and took 11th overall at the Jr. World Cup in Europe. In 1998 I missed the qualifier by 2 spots for the Nagano, Japan games. In 1999 they closed the oval to build the new venue that still sits there today. The Jr. team relocated to Wisconsin to train. I had to weigh some options and I didn't want to leave. I stayed back to finish high school etc. I sometimes play the "what if" game and sometimes question if I made the right decision.

Sports Illustrated photoshoot Kearns Olympic Oval

It was hard to let go. It was my life and I really didn't know anything else...so, my Senior year in high school I decided to play volleyball. I played club at High Country and actually got a scholarship to play at UVU!

College volleyball ended early in 2000 when I received a phone call from the US bobsledding coach. Womens bobsledding was just approved as an Olympic sport for the 2002 games.

I laughed and the first thing in my head was "Cool Runnings" The coach told me he knew I used to speedskate and I know how to 'run' on ice and wanted to me to come train as a brakeman (womens bobsled is only a 2 person bob) and explained I just had to push the sled 30-40 meters and run as fast as I could and jump in and enjoy the ride. He also said he's send me to Europe for a month, all expenses paid for "bob school"

I thought to myself "wow, another door has opened up to the 2002 games, maybe this is my destiny"

I can't explain the feeling of competing at a world class level. It was surreal at times..Boy how I wish I was still in that kind of shape :) I was able to travel all over the world, meet some amazing friends/people along the way and gain experiences of a lifetime that I will cherish forever!

I loved being a brakeman, but with that, I put my life in the hands of my driver and endured some painful crashes, ice burn, and tons of bruises. It's a dangerous sport, but there's no other feeling like pulling 5 G forces. It's the biggest rush, and better than skydiving. One bad crash was in Park City... Our sled dumped in turn 12 and I got pretty banged up and a spinal contusion. It was all worth it though!

I didn't qualify for the 2002 games. That was a doozy. It was both disappointing and a bit depressing, however, our team won a gold that year. There's days I wish I could turn back the clock, but I know I worked my hardest. What a great time in my life... I often contemplate going back and sliding, I was the youngest amongst the team and most the womens team was around 25-40 then.
World Cup Calgary, Canada 2001

It's fun to see people on TV that I've competed with or against, in both bobsledding and speedskating. I have a great respect and admiration for these athletes... I know how hard the road is to an Olympic game.... Possibly I'll be at the 2014 games? ;)

Go Team USA!!

15 comments:

Ane said...

I love it that you did that! I remember hearing about it from O and I was and am still very impressed! Looks like Ktown's a great place to raise athletes!

Love ya Kass!

pwincessdi said...

Wow I had NO idea Kass..u really amaze me seriously. You are so young, and have accomplished soo much! Way to go, and if you wanna go 2014 I say GOOOO!! :) TEAM USA ALL THE WAY!!! =)

Amy said...

I love you Kassie! You're always such an inspiration and so positive. I think if you truly want to get to the olympics one day you should go for it. Although, I don't know how well that would work in Florida...not much ice. :)

IONGI FAMILY said...

Kassie you are so Inspirational!! GO GIRL!!!! I never knew that!!! That's so AWESOME!!!!

Anonymous said...

YOu always seem to surprise me girl I don't exercise or do anything active but you sure do motivate and ispire me... my brother Ray is one Lucky man... Your amazing keep up the good work your a great example to many of us! I have never met you but when I read your blog it's like I've known you for years you rock! LOve you and can't wait to meet you in person!

MARCIA said...

I'm in the same boat as my sister. You are a woman of many trades. You are only a year younger than me and have accomplished things I could't even imagine. Congratulations on all your accomplishments! Keep believeing, I can so see you in the 2014 Olympics! USA rules.

Ku'uipo said...

It sounds like Kassie just skated a few times and ran the track by this blog, but little do you all know that she worked her little tail off. Missed TONS of school because she was training so hard and worked out 6-8 hours a day (at least) and when she wasn't working out she was doing homework and sharpening her skates. In the summer when there wasn't any ice they had to go other places to find it or she would rollerblade or hike mountains (in that speedskating stance). OUCH!
I too remember all of the bruises and muscle aches, but also remember cheering out hearts out! So proud of all you've done sis and proud that you weren't afraid to try new things!
I love the Olympics too~ Go USA!!!!

Klarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Wow, I had no idea... You Rock! I love the olympics!

The Vaitu'u fAmiLy said...

Kassie what great experiences you've had thus far in your life!! I knew you were an athlete though by the way you finished that 5k in like 15 minutes!! You're a great inspiration and I think that young girls should hear more from you and learn from your experiences so that they wont be afraid to try new things!! Love ya.. your son will be so proud to hear all that you've done!! GO KASSIE & GO TEAM USA!!

KKandKoKo said...

I remember back in the day when you were skating! You seriously are an amazing person!!

Klarah said...

What I wanted you to know was that your were such an inspiration to everyone and I couldnt imagine why any one would want to lose you as a friend. Baby Toa is going to be one heck of a person with parents like you guys.. athletic and smart!! I am glad that I have you as a friend!!

Tala Motuliki said...

wowo! thats amazing! you really had the experience of a lifetime! Thats all sounds so fun!

Halli said...

So, so, so very cool! Thanks for sharing. Like the others I had no idea. Toa has one cool mom!

bunchafullers said...

Wow, you are awesome. I knew you did speed skating but had no clue about bob sledding. Just think, all of that hard work was preparing you for mommyhood! What a wonderful road you traveled, and it made you the best mom! Go USA!