I've been extremely hesitant to write about this. However, I feel that if I don't express my thoughts, I am cheating people of some knowledge that I'm hoping to pass along to my readers.My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in July. I won't lie, it's been a very emotional time for my family. It was devastating to find this out.. you never think it's going to be 'you' it happens to. You truly can't emphathize with people, until you have experienced first hand. Life is a trip I tell ya. My Dad is by far the strongest person I know...not once has this ever altered his faith, or his positive attitude. Not once has he ever had the "why me?" attitude. He has always been upbeat about it knowing he can beat it and going on with life as wonderfully as he always has! He never wanted to tell anyone about the diagnosis because he never wanted to worry anyone.
On Thursday he had surgery to remove the cancer and the lymph nodes. As I sat up at the Huntsman Cancer Institute I was so overwhelmed with emotion. It's very difficult to see a parent go through that. Grateful that the surgery was a success, and optimistic that the cancer hasn't spread. He did very well and I am very appreciative for the brilliant doctors who have helped my family with this whole process. HCI is at a caliber of its own.
The reason for my post is for awareness. Throughout this 'journey' we have been educated immensely on this type of cancer, the treatment, and how cancer affects your entire family. One thing to know is Prostate Cancer is the leading cancer in men, like breast cancer with women. The problem is, is that most men are like my Dad.....quiet! The silence is the reason that awareness is nowhere near where it needs to be. During one of the seminars, it was brought up that the money funded for breast cancer research is far above the amount given to any other type of cancer research, prostate cancer being one of the lowest. I'm talking about MILLIONS of dollars.
As most of you know, October is "breast cancer awareness" month, but how many of you knew that just the month before that was "prostate cancer awareness" month?
What I am encouraging each of you to do, is to have the men in your life get checked. Did you know at the age of 15 is when men should start checking their prostate for cancer? Just like we do our mammograms. It is sooo important. Also, prostate cancer is hereditary. PLEASE please set up the appointments for your dad, husband, brother, uncle, whoever, to get checked. Had my Dad not had his blood work to go off of from 2 years ago, they would have never detected it after they did his blood work this year. We are forever grateful that he found out when he did and we were able to catch it before it spreads. My Dad is 52 years young and had no symptoms or anything..He's so active and healthy and it was a shock to us. It is so important for men to get their colonoscopies done and prostates checked EVERY year.
I would hate to hear of anyone I know having to go through this and knowing inside that I never said anything.. Right now I have 46 followers of this blog and I don't know how many others read this, but whoever I can reach out to, to you and your family to be aware of this, we need to be the voice for the men in our lives.... I've been trying to encourage my Dad to be an advocate and voice for the polynesian men on how important it is to get these check-ups. My wish is for each of you to spread the word!
Thank you to my family and friends for you love and support at this time. Those of you who have experienced this type of trial can relate. On behalf of my family we appreciate your kind words and prayers. We all know what the power of prayer can do......
**Daddy, I love you! You are my hero in so many ways, and I know every thing is going to be just fine!**
13 comments:
Thank you Kassie!! This post brought awareness to me and I am so grateful that you chose to share your knowledge and your fathers story with us. Your father is very blessed to have you as his daughter and I'm happy to know that he is doing just fine. Thanks again!
Kassie, I personally know how hard this is from having my dad go through the same thing. It's a scary thing for anyone to face. My dad also ended up having surgery and things went well. I hope and pray for a quick recovery for your dad too! Thanks for posting this! ;)
Glad they detected the cancer early on. Love ya Kass!
Thanks Kassie for sharing your story and bringing awareness. I wish the best for your family, especially your dad!
THanks Kassie for the post! ANd you are right, it's very common in men....thank you! Your father is a lucky man!
Your post brought tears to my eyes, thank you for taking the time to post about it! My dad was about the same age as yours is when he went through the same thing. I know what you mean that it's a very hard thing to swallow. We're blessed that our dad's are okay and that it was detected early enough....but thank you for adressing the importance of awareness! I hope your dad recovers well! I think it's so sad that September is Prostate Cancer Awareness month....I had no idea.... thank Kass! Love ya girl!
Thanks for your post sweetie I just learned something knew... that is so scary I pray your dad had a speedy recovery Take care!
what an awesome post! U are so right, not many know about the things you just educated us on! I know this was a very personal thing for you & your family....but I'm glad you shared, because POLYS really need to take better care of themselves, especially the MEN! I know ur dad will be fine, he has great caretakers!!!! :)
That was a very nice post so thanks for sharing! Im glad blogging is a form of relief in a sense. Your dad will be fine, this Im sure by knowing the love and support that his family has provided him with thus far! You are a great daughter, sister and friend. Hopefuly the word will spread every where in regards to "Prostate Cancer Awareness." Polys do need to take better care of them self sometimes!:D Have a great week!!
Thanks for the post sis!! Gosh I pray your father has a speedy recovery!! Our people really need to hear this. Love you guys and if there is anything you need please let me know ok.
Love you
wow! thank you kass. prayers and best wishes to your dad and thank you for the awareness.
I hope your dad's recovery goes well Kass. My dad passed away from cancer almost 10 years ago now (different cancer from your dads), but the pain is still real. Be strong and a good support for your dad. He will need as much as he can get while he recovers. Thinking of you all at this time!
Post a Comment