Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentines and Presidents Day Weekend

I was fortunate enough to spend the weekend with Ray before he comes home next week. Saturday was "LOVE" day and to us it's a little overrated but we still like to do something. Ray wrote me the most beautiful poem I have ever heard in my life... it brought me to tears! Sorry, I won't be posting it because it's very sacred and special to me :) Besides our son and my wedding ring, it's the best thing he has ever given me.

I wanted to do something a little different for Ray this year. Something that would last forever and have a meaningful purpose. I planted a tree in Niger, Africa and named it "MONI" for Ray. The cool thing about this project is, there are 8 million trees being planted in the formation of a heart in the middle of Africa to help with desertification and to help re-generate the soil. There is a ton of information at www.tree-nation.com and I would definitely reccommend to anyone to plant a tree.



Our tree was planted on February 12th at 4:40pm. Our goal one Valentines Day is to go to Africa and see our tree :) I purchased the Borassus Aethiopium which comes from the palm family. It can withstand fires and also produce the economy with fruits and nuts.


Ray loved it and that's all that matters.
The crowds in Atlanta were RIDICLOUS and we didn't feel like fighting them, so we had a nice quiet night at home and decided we'd go out Sunday instead. We went to an amazing sushi restaurant called the Geisha House and walked around downtown a little.

Monday was awesome. Since it was Presidents Day we wanted to something patriotic and see something different so we opted to go to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. I am so glad we did. It was not only humbling, but it was pretty liberating to stand where he stood and visit the home where he was born and also visit his grave site. It was very emotional as well and I can now fully see why the election of President Obama is SUCH a big deal. I couldn’t imagine living in times like that or feeling suppressed because of the color of my skin. They endured so much pain and hatred and still came out strong and fought for what they believed in.



The house where MLK was born and grew up in



An actual picture from the Walk of Freedom


Auburn Avenue- The street MLK grew up on

The church where MLK preached

The Walk of Fame.. Dr. Maya Angelou's footsteps. I love her



This fountain is the Freedom Walkway to the resting place of MLK


This is the cart that carried his body to his resting place.

Martin Luther King's grave

Thank you again my sweet lovah for another amazing fun weekend. I can’t wait till you come home on Monday!!!

3 comments:

Klarah said...

How sweet!! You guys remind of Sheena and Nick, Just you guys travel a little, or should I say alot more!! The thing with you guys is for those who know you is even without the pictures we can already see how soooo in love you guys are, and thats priceless!!!

Ku'uipo said...

Fun! I didn't know you went to those place...except for sushi with the wax man. Glad your V-Day was fun!

~AliSa~ said...

Hey girl looks like everything is going good with you. I love Atlanta! The MLK museum is cool and it puts a lot of things in perspective. The Varsity is definitely a good one time experience. Great place to visit and lots to do there. Love and miss you tons!