Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!


Today Ray is flying out to Indianapolis for the NFL Combine. It’s a 4 days process where he will be tested on his physical strength, speed, agility, vertical jump, broad jump, and numerous football drills. He will be tested on how many times he can bench 225lbs and interviewed by all of the NFL teams. He is one out of 3 BYU players (along with Travis Bright and Austin Collie) who were invited and 1 out of 19 offensive guards in the country who will attend. ALL eligible players are reviewed and voted on by the committee members. Each athlete receiving the necessary number of votes, by position, is then extended an invitation. While it is not a perfect science, the goal of the committee is to invite every player that will be drafted in the ensuing NFL Draft.

I just wanted to express how PROUD I am of my husband. I don’t think people realize the extent of work these players put into making their dream come true. We had the opportunity to go to lunch with an 11 year veteran for the Atlanta Falcons, Todd Weiner and he put a lot of great things into perspective. People tend to think that it’s the physical part of the game that players fail at, but it’s the mental portion. 60% of the game is for those who can overcome the hype and pressure and be able to pull themselves together and get the job done. I never realized how grueling this can be…interviews and background checks. These teams know everything about Ray. Every stat on every game, every grade in every class, every speeding ticket, everything. You would think he was applying for the FBI or something!

Ray has really put his mind to this more than anything. He loves this game, he loves everything about it and it’s been his life for 12 years. Physcially, Ray is so talented and strong, both on and off the field. Hell, he can bench press 475lbs. I think that’s one of the reasons I fell in love with him, he picked me up with one arm. J He just has the God-given natural skills and size to be ranked one of the best guards in the country. To me that’s HUGE! There are how many men in this world who would die to play at this level and there are roughly 1200 who can do it. I’m not being boastful or anything, I just am so absolutely proud of Ray and all his hard work. He has been in Atlanta for 9 weeks training his tail off for this combine working on drills and strength/speed conditioning and has done amazingly well. I am just so excited for him and getting to this level- There has been a few haters who have tried to pull him down, but it’s just because they can’t do what he’s doing so therefore they have to HATE! It’s so sad, but that hasn’t delayed one bit of the process for him. He just shrugs it off… he’s so humble about the whole thing, people will ask him all the time if he plays football etc and he says no, that he’s just big!! Thanks to our family and friends who have done nothing but support him and pat him on the back. We’ve realized who his true friends are through this process and those who are genuinely happy for him. We love each of you so much and without the support and sacrifices from his family he wouldn’t be where he's at.

I guess being the wife I see the other side of the game. I see the bangs and bruises and I help massage the stiff body and ice the sore muscles. I see him gone every weekend for games and late meetings and practices. I see the long hours he puts in and the victories and losses. I see the sweat and tears through cold and hot weather. I see the coming home from an away game at 2am and the expectation of coaches. I’m told it only gets crazier at the next level….this is their career, it’s their way of providing for their family and it’s his DREAM!!!!!

Baby, whatever happens, I cannot reiterate how proud I am of you and all your hard work and sacrifices. I truly am so proud that you’re following your dream and you aren’t settling for anything less.. A lot of guys your age would have opted out for the “now” and not sacrificed being a broke college student for 4 years or would have given up because they couldn’t handle the schedule of school and practices and wanted to do other things!! I know you’ll do amazing things. I know what you’re capable of, I know how talented you are and there is nobody else I know who deserves this more than you- Thank you for being an example of faith, integrity, and humility. You’re a leader and a hard worker…..You’re a man that is truly blessed and you don’t take that for granted. You put God first!! Me and baby are so excited for you and we just love more than you will ever know!!

Go kick some butt this weekend and show them what you’re all about! I know you’ll make them fall in love with you just like I did! J You’re beautiful inside and out and I am so happy to call you mine!!!

No comments: