Tuesday, November 1, 2011

DIY Skeleton Maternity Halloween Shirt Twins

I had seen this shirt online and was inspired to make one with the twin skeleton babies. 

Things you need

1. pencil
2. freezer paper
3. white fabric paint
4. exacto knife/razor blade
5. iron
6. paint brush/sponge brush

*Read entire post before creating your costume*

I freehand sketched the bones onto the freezer paper and then cut the bones out with the knife creating a template.  You don't have to be an artist and it doesn't have to be perfect, just a general skeleton shape.

I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with myself with my baby sketches.
As you can see, I cut my sketches out on a cutting board.

You then iron the wax paper SHINY SIDE DOWN onto the clothing and positon it right where you want it. I pinned it onto my shirt while I carried it over to the ironing board.

Iron the freezer paper down WITHOUT steam. Iron really REALLY well around those inner edges of your shapes. You don't want the paint to seep under.

Then lay your shirt down flat and slide cardboard between the shirt layers to keep the paint from seeping down through both layers and making the shirt stick together. Trust me, it will stick if you don't have something separating it. You need PERMANENT fabric paint. I bought mine at Michaels along with the sponge brush that was like 50cents. 

I blotted the first layer to make sure I got an even line around the edges of the freezer paper. After it dried, I applied another layer, and then another. I let it dry overnight and then peeled off the wax paper, leaving the stenciled image behind. 

I did the exact same thing for the arm bones... and TADA

SKELETON MOMMA WITH TWINS

1 comment:

Klarah said...

You looked great abd the costume looks perfect for expecting mothers!! Thanks again. I hope everything is going great with you and your family=) The boys are getting big yet still so very handsome!!