My sweet Moni has always been a little bit weaker than Ray.
Ray can hold himself up, rolled really early, and can stand up with you just supporting his arms.
Moni is like a wet noodle. If you hold him up his arms just kind of go above his head or if you try and have him stand up, his legs aren't as strong... unfortunately it goes the same for fighting off infections.
All three boys got a cold. Ever since Moni had Bronchiolitis his chest has been tight, and always sounds wheezy and 'wet' in his chest. Well on May 4th, his cold turned into a high fever and his respiratory rate was really high. I decided to take him into the ER because he was breathing around 78 per minute and had a 103 fever. I was really worried and nervous. We got to the ER around 8pm and they took him right back.. they did breathing treatments and everything else to try and get his respiratory rate under control. Normal for a baby is between 50's. He was up to around 82 and it wasn't getting any better. His heart rate was really high too because of some medication they gave him.. it was around 215... normal is 140-170, 180.
We were in the ER forever!! Poor baby just wanted to sleep..which is impossible in the hospital. They had told me that if he didn't get better they were transporting him to Joe Dimaggio Children's Hospital. I got really worried then. I just didn't know what was going on. The chest x-ray came back negative for pneumonia and the blood cultures came back negative for RSV. Around 3am they came in and said they were transporting him and they needed to start his IV.
What a horrible time to be a chubby baby.. it was so difficult for the 3 nurses to try and find a vein. I was getting kind of pissed off because they were by no means 'gentle'. Everytime they poked him they sat and moved the needle around inside trying to find the vein.. they tried both arms, both ankles and finally got one in the foot.. he cried and screamed so hard. I cried just watching.
Finally around 4am the ambulance came to transport us. I was so exhausted by this time, I couldn't even keep my eyes open. They loaded him up and off we went..I actually fell asleep in the ambulance.
We got checked into our room immediately and they had a bed made for me in the room and I knocked out with Moni. Around 8am the doctor came in and explained that they were going to keep him to make sure his levels were all normal and he didn't have any episodes and then we could go home.
I didn't have my car or anything with me, my sweet friend Monika came and let me take her car and then she sat with Moni until I got back. I felt so bad because she actually graduated from college that afternoon, but she insisted on staying with Moni and letting me go home and shower and grab some things. After leaving around 10am I got back at 1pm and it felt like it was forever. Monika sent me updates of baby the whole time.. Ray dropped off Toa and Ray at Paul and Tasha's house so he could come visit Moni. He brought food that Tei made... chop suey and chicken :) He also brought his iPad for Moni to watch and bought him a stuffed animal to sleep with because he was worried that he would be lonely without having Ray to sleep next to. Paul and Tasha came to visit and brought me a mocha frappe and a present for Moni.. It was nice to have visitors for a few hours- Ray left and went to pick up the boys and I watched Moni sleep and played on the iPad.
They kept him again that night because his respiratory rate was still really high and he was still on oxygen because his oxygen level was low. Poor little guy.. he was so fussy and irritated and I think the IV was bugging him so bad. They came and gave him some Tylenol and medication and he finally slept. So did I!
We got up around 7am and I went downstairs to grab some coffee and something to eat.. I felt anxious just leaving him in the room along.. even if it was just for a few minutes.. So I put on Cars on the TV and made sure he had lights on etc.. When I came back up the Dr. had come in and said he was laughing because he came in the room and Moni was having his own party..
They were happy with the way things were looking through the night, so he said if everything stayed the same until noon that we could go home! Yay!!!!!
We finally checked out and went home.. he was so happy to see his brothers and wouldn't let go of Ray.. literally! The bond between twins is truly amazing.
He's been doing much better and it took him about a good week to be back to himself. My Mom actually flew down on Monday to be with us and just help.. She is so great.. I love her so much...
Glad Mr. Moni is doing better.. it's never easy to see your kid sick or suffering and not be able to do anything to help. That's the worst feeling ever! I have a whole new respect for families who have been in the hospital with sick kids for long periods of time. I kept thinking of my friend Monica Fangupo who had her preemie daughter in NICU for 5 months! FIVE MONTHS!!! It's just crazy trying to figure out schedules and juggle other kids around while you're trying to handle everything else going on.. I truly applaud these families..
Joe Di'Maggio hospital was seriously a great hospital. The staff, the facility, everything was top notch and they definitely took care of us! We are praying that this doesn't happen everytime he gets sick. There's a big possibility that it will and that he might have childhood asthma :( I'm hoping not, but we can only take it a day at a time... Therefore, I'm very cautious with him. Don't want him catching anything!! I think if we fly home this summer I will put a mask on him. NO JOKE!!
We love you Moni Roni...



























2 comments:
Man, this post totally made me cry. Poor baby Moni. Isn't it just the worst thing ever to have a sick child and not really be able to do anything about it to make things better! I hope Moni recovers 100% and that he won't have to leave his brothers again....so cute their bond...I just love looking at the pictures of them together, always holding hands or touching each other. So precious! Love you guys Kass....prayers for little Moni!
How 'bout I am totally teary eyed reading this post & I'm so glad he's doing better. Savou went through the same thing when he was 4 or 5 months old & this post took me thru that experience once again. :( It's no fun at all.
Post a Comment