I finally got to see my friend Monica and her sweet baby Katea.
Katea was born at 24 weeks and has been in the NICU since she was born.
She was finally able to go home and spent a short 12 days with her family. Unfortunately the yucky viruses going around got a hold of Katea and she was admitted to Primary Children's Hospital last Friday. I have been wanting to go visit this whole week, and today I made it up there.
When I got there, Monica wasn't there yet, she was still driving up, so I went and sat in the room with Katea. It was the first time I saw her.... besides growing in pictures etc...
The tears just started flowing.
I think I cried for a good 5 minutes.
Everything I had read from her Mom's blog HERE since she was born came flooding back to me.
All of her triumphs. Her struggles. Her Mommy's struggles.
I was so overwhelmed with such emotion.
Humility.
Gratitude.
Empathy.
This little baby lying in front of me was a true testament of faith.
She has endured more in 5 short months what most people will never know in a lifetime.
Her family has endured more sacrifice than most people will know in their lifetime.
There I was staring at this beautiful little girl, who has been fighting for her life since in the womb.
More tears.
The nurses came in, and I composed myself.
They asked who I was.
"I'm the Aunty" I answered. I didn't want to explain through a cracked voice.
I spent a good hour with baby Katea by myself before Monica got there.
I got to feed her.
Hold her.
Rock her.
I think I feel so overwhelmed with this little girl, because when her Mom found out she was pregnant, I told her "I'm sending you the twin vibe so we can have twins together"
Well, I was the first person Monica called after her appointment letting me know it was twins she was having!! :) I was so happy for them. My dear friend had such a rough pregnancy.
My heart ached for her.
It still aches.
Twin A, baby Cindy grew her angel wings at 16 weeks.
I was so devastated for Monica.
She has been one of the best examples of faith and a positive attitude.
No wonder baby Katea is such a fighter!!
It was so humbling to sit and stare at this little miracle.
It's amazing the little things we take for granted.
Walking around a children's hospital will humble your heart real quick.
Talk about true heroes!
Monica came in the room and I started crying some more.
Yes, I'm a big cry baby.
I can't imagine how tired she is.
Tired of being in a hospital.
Tired of being apart from her family.
Tired of watching her poor baby go through such pain :(
She is such a strong woman who I adore...
It was good to just catch up and talk and just sit....
Monica and family... I love you all dearly! You are so special and not a day goes by I don't think about you or Katea.. Thank you for letting me come up and spend some time with you today..... I hope Katea feels better so soon and can be home with all of you... Thank you for your example of strength and faith and your positive attitude. You are one special, amazing family.......


4 comments:
okay tell me why I cried reading this post. I have been following Monica's blog through all of this and I don't even know her. My husband is related to Ova and I give him updates everyday. LOL I know stalker status, but seriously Monica and her Beautiful baby girl Katea bring me back to reality. I'm so happy you got to see this precious baby girl.
LOVE THIS POST!!! I so wish I lived closer so we could all hang out together. I'm so glad you were able to make it over to see Monica and baby Katea...what a great experience. :)
aww soo sweet Kass. I'm glad u got to spend some time with Katea alone,, isn't she more beautiful in person. I think her lil chubby cheeks are the cutest =) With her puss in boots eyes, I just love her! she is truly a miracle baby, you're right humbling experience to walk thru a hospital full of sick children, couldn't agree more.
Love you Kass!!
Post a Comment