Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reflux? Ouch....

Baby Ray has always had a little bit of reflux. 
I've always had to have him sleep propped up, he hates lying down flat. 
On the first of the year, he started having it really bad, I made him an appointment and took him in last Wednesday. He was 12lbs 6oz and they gave him some medicine to try. Seriously, that night you would think he was a fountain. Everything was just spewing everywhere, out his nose and one episode he was throwing up so badly, he couldn't catch his breath in between. It just kept coming and coming out. He was soaked, I was soaked, and the next morning I called Dr. Wall but of course he was gone for the weekend. I stopped the meds the night before and the on call nurse said just to keep an eye on it until Monday when I could get in but if it got too bad then call back. 

The weekend was okay. I switched his formula to the spit-up formula with the rice/starch which thickens when it hits stomach acid, and he did pretty good on that. Monday we went to see Dr. Wall and Ray had lost quite a bit of weight from just Wednesday. He was down to 11lbs 7oz. Dr. Wall was concerned and he had mentioned before that it could be Pyloric Stenosis. Ray had all the symptoms, so he wrote an order for us to go and get an ultrasound at Primary Children's. {Thank goodness there is the new PC by our home in Riverton, so we didn't have to go downtown}

So today we went in and got the little ultrasound done...he was so good. He got a little fussy when the tech would press his stomach. 


After about a good half hour of taking images and video of his insides, the doctor came in and looked over everything. I was so happy everything came back normal and it wasn't pyloric stenosis. What that is, is when the muscle around the intestine gets too strong and closes off the intestine and food won't pass through. It's more common in boys than girls, and it's fixed with a minor surgery where they go in and cut the muscle. I was really worried it was that, because surgery is the last thing I wanted for him. My friend had this done with one of her twins and he had nothing but problems after that. 

Sooo, Dr. Wall called again tonight and suggested we try Prev-Acid and see how that goes. It's a total acid blocker.. so I'm hoping it helps. If it feels anything like heartburn, good gracious, I feel so bad for him!! Hopefully this works, a bunch of friends gave me suggestions on Facebook too, so we will continue to try everything we can... Love you handsome Ray!! Hope you feel better....


1 comment:

pwincessdi said...

saad! My nephew (Toa and Klarah's baby Brigham) has this, I hope he doesn't have the other thing you said where he'd have to get surgery..but he throws up fountains too. Hope Klarah read your fb cause I told my mom to tell her about it. Did anything work so far?