Thursday, September 2, 2010

Prostate Cancer Awareness Month


I bet if I took a survey on how many people knew September was Prostate Cancer Awareness Month,
not many people would know about it.

I bet not many people know the Prostate Cancer ribbon is baby blue either.

I didn't.

That wasn't until it hit our family right where it counts.
Dad was diagnosed with it last summer.
Did he have symptoms?
Nope

Every year he gets his PSA checked via bloodwork

In 2007 he had his bloodwork done and his PSA {click here for more information on what PSA is}
read a two. Nothing that red-flagged anything, and then last summer he had his bloodwork done again, and his PSA read a six. Still, that would have not red-flagged the doctors. The only thing that did was that his PSA level had jumped up that quickly in such a short time. I thank the Lord everyday we had the 2007 tests to go by. If it had been his first read at a six, nothing would've indicated something was wrong.

He had a biopsy done. It was unnerving and scary. They took six samples, and two of the six came back positive for cancer.

That was a devastating day. You hear the "C" word and automatically relate that to death.
So many different options were thrown at my parents.
We had no idea where to start. That is when the educational part began.

Prostate Cancer is the leading cancer in men. It is a slow growing silent killer.
By the time most men have the symptoms, it's too late. It is sooooooooo important to get this bloodwork done every year.

Just like women get mammograms, men need to start logging their PSA tests at the age of FIFTEEN!! Yes, FIFTEEN!!

Please, I cannot reiterate how important it is for your men to get this testing done.

Most men don't want to worry about it and think that "they're fine"
All it is is bloodwork. One doctor told my Dad that this was not something he wanted to let go and just deal with, it would be the most painful death to experience.

My Dad is doing great. He had the radical removal process done in January and his PSA level is reading ZERO!! We love that number!!!

If you need any information or help on going on about this please do not hesitate to contact me.. Please let me know if you're scheduling appointments for the men in your life too.. I am making a goal for myself to get one man a day to get his PSA level checked...

All you have to do is schedule a physical for them and get the PSA testing done..

WEAR BABY BLUE this month and tell others about this!!! It is sooo important. Print this blog out and pass it out at work or church or school... We have to be the voices in our mens lives and put things into action... don't let it go... just get it done!!!

Love you Daddy

3 comments:

Tela said...

Thanks for the info Kass, I will make sure to schedule my hubby. It is reasons like this I am so grateful you are a part of our family.

F@y said...

WOW!!! I didnt know much until I read your post! Thank you for all the information! So happy your Dad is cancer free!!!

Ane said...

Thanks Kass, my dad had Prostate cancer as well. He survived thanks to surgery. He is still alive, but has little mobility and memory loss due from several Strokes. I am glad you are promoting awareness, you're really sweet and for doing this. Take care out there in Florida! Remember when we used to go Salsa dancing? Good times...hahahaha! Love ya!