Monday, August 6, 2012

My Grammy in My Words.....

This was my talk for my Grammy's services. 
It was crazy, because I had written what I wanted to say all week. A few thoughts here and there, and then the morning of the services, I woke up and felt like saying something entirely different from what I had prepared. Weird how that happens. I definitely felt her spirit present that day... I miss her. I am so blessed to have her as my Grammy!!! 

"Yesterday we had the opportunity to go and dress this beautiful woman lying before you.. as we dressed her tiny body, I thought of all it had endured over the years. Her tiny feet and legs have walked so many miles to pave the way for all of us kids in so many ways.
Her tiny back. Even though she had Scoliosis, she was strong. She never complained or let you know she was in pain.
Her tiny shoulders. She often took the burden from others and put them on her own shoulders.
Her tiny arms. They held me as a baby and comforted me as a woman and I'm so grateful that those arms have held and loved all three of my babies.
Her tiny hands. Such hardworking hands. Skillful hands that have made many meals that brought our family together. Those hands have made many blankets that keep us warm at night, and those hands have taught us how to do so many things. She taught me how to crochet, and she never cared that I would waste her yarn and make a single chain out of a whole skein. That's all I knew how to do forever, was just a single chain.

She loved everyone, and everyone loved her. My friends from my childhood still ask about her and Grandpa. She always left a lasting impression on those she met. Who wouldn't love the little lady we were all taller than by the time we were 8?

My favorite memories would have to be all the sleepovers I had. I loved sleeping over with Grandma and Grandpa. She would always let us pick the rasberries  and strawberries from her garden and eat them. Even if she had waited so long for them to grow. I think we are the only kids who knew how to roll a perfect cigarette, and the only time I recall her yelling at me was when I tried to smoke one of them and started choking when I was 11.

She was so patient.. even if she was working on something and busy, she always took the time to show us how to do something if we asked. She was the nicest person, not a mean bone in her body. My Grammy loved scary movies, she got me to love them. We would always sit and watch scary movies together all night and then wake up and have coffee in the morning and listen to the police scanner.

I read a quote a while ago 'a mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie' that was my Grandma. She always did for others and often went without. She was so selfless and giving. If she had $99, she would give you $100. She never ever missed an anniversary or a birthday and getting her card in the mail was something I always looked forward to. Even now that we are grown, she would put $20 in it. She kept everything you gave her too.. EVERYTHING! :) It was so important to her and she always displayed everything with such pride and everything item in her room has a special meaning and a story. I will miss those days laying in bed with her and listening to all the stories about all the gifts in her room.

I always say that I'm her favorite. But the truth is, we all are! She just made each of us feel that special! She always made you feel like you were the most important person in the world!!

I will miss calling her and talking and then about 5 minutes into the conversation, she would ask 'now, is this Kuuipo, Kassie or Kamie?'

She always knew what to say to comfort you and one hug and kiss from her would make everything all better. I will never forget the last day she hugged me.. I wish I held on a little bit longer!

Just want to tell my Mom that Grandma lives on through her, through all her kids. My Mom is just like Grandma. My Mom never left her side and kept all of her voicemails and we just sat and listened to them all the other night. and Grandpa, she loves you so much. Just the way Grandma looked at you , you could tell she was still so IN love. I know that she held on and fought for so long FOR you. 

Grammy, I love you. I miss you.. I hope I can be like you one day.. I know you're finally resting and no longer in pain...


It's never goodbye.. just see you later!!!"

3 comments:

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

OMG I totally cried through that whole post. What a special woman, and what a great tribute to her!

The Brownz said...

I always love reading your blogs sis. This one is one of my favs so far. I'm glad I got to meet your sweet lil grammy and I love the relationship that you and your sisters had with her.

Mua said...

Your grandma's services were beautiful, so glad I was able to be there!

I loved your talk, especially the cigarettes part..Lol. I hope your Grandpa is doing okay with out her, you could tell how much he loved her!